Today has been our last day to go visit sites that we, as individuals would like to see. A number of us started out the day by going to an 8:30 A.M. Mass at St. Peter's Basilica in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel. It was a simple Mass in Italian. I felt like it was a special way to say goodbye to St. Peter's, too.
After the Mass, four of us, Sisters Joan M., Marietta, Macrina, and me, went to the Catacomb of Callixtus, one of the largest and most beautiful catacombs. It is named after one of the popes who was buried there. We were told that about one million graves are in it. Among the graves there are nine third century popes. St. Cecilia's and St. Tarcisius's burial sites are here, although I heard that St. Cecilia's remains were moved to St. Cecilia's Church. We did see the original burial site of St. Cecilia and a staue of her and frescoes were at her site. As in some other places, I was moved by a very deep sense of appreciation and awe of these heroes of our faith.
On our way back to the convent where we've been living, we had a pizza and a gelato again!
Saturday, June 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Mmmm, scrumptious gelato! When I was little I LOVED reading about St. Cecelia. Didn't they find her body uncorrupted and smelling of roses? (I hope I'm not confusing my saints...)
Your trip has been so interesting to read about. I love the thought of the grotto and the catacombs. Both are things I'd love to see sometime. What a wonderful experience you've had..... and lots of fun and interesting things thrown in as well. I am assuming you'll be headed home soon, but don't remember just when that is. Hopefully you can come by and bring some photos! Take care and see you soon!
Hello Carly and Jason! They did find St. Cecilia's body incorrupt. I don't remember hearing or reading that it smelled of roses and those who I asked don't remember that either.
But you may know more than we do!!
I wonder if we can get gelatos at any Italian restaurants in Spokane or elsewhere. I'll let you know if I find out we can!
Dear Carolyn,
Yes, I have loved this trip, as always! I hope you do get to go and see those sites, too.
This is our last day in the program and tomorrow I fly back to Spokane! I'll be happy to share photos with you!
Post a Comment