I wish you could all be here with me!
In Sarnen, Switzerland, I experienced a cloistered life with our Sisters. They are very kind and I experienced much joy from them. They prayed Divine Office at least six times during the day and I was usually praying with them. They also have daily Mass. The liturgies are all in German. (Sister Bernarda and Sister Rut Maria, especially, speak English.) Meals are in silence with spiritual readings during the noon meal. On Sunday we listened to music during some of the meals. There is such a wonderful atmosphere of prayer there.
I was able to see the areas where St. Nicholas de Flu lived near Sarnen. Sister Philomena's niece, Elaine, took me there. St. Nicholas was a person of great prayer and wisdom who assisted in creating peace in Switzerland in different ways.
On Sunday, May 18th, Fr. Lucas, a friend of our Sister Cecile, took me in the afternoon to the Benedictine Church and monastery where he and his monks live and minister. We also saw the beautiful lake of Sarnen and had a very nice visit.
While in Sarnen and Bavaria, there were usually clouds in the sky so that the mountains were usually obscure. Yet, I did get a sense of their vastness at times and of course, their beauty.
In Bavaria, Sally was also very hospitable. She surprised me with the relatives of another friend of mine, Maria Welch. Margot and Seppi grew up in Salzburg, Austria and the three of them gave me a wonderful tour of the beautiful and historical areas of Salzburg. Also, Sally gave me a tour of the magnificent countryside of Bavaria. We went to a very beautiful recital of a piano student of the Mozart Institue of Music. He looked like he was in his twenties and he played as though he were playing sixteen pianos at once instead of one!!
In Rome, so far we have visited St. Peter's and some of the area around that, the Roman Forum, the Colloseum, the prison where Sts. Peter and Paul were.... And we've had orientations and a great class on Rome during New Testament times.
I feel so blessed! Thank you for your support and care and interest!
Monday, May 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It sounds like you are having a great time! I went to Lewiston yesterday and mom, dad, Courtney and I all saw the newest Indiana Jones movie --- it was pretty good. Then Uncle Jim, Carolyn, Chivonne and Jared came over (Laura of course was already there) and we all had a BBQ. It was nice. We will have to do something similar when you come home.
Hi Nancy
I am so glad to hear from you, I am sharing your blogs with mom. Today is Memorial Day & on the way back from Grangeville we went past Grandma Funkes old house & Reggie was there & Mom & I were able to go inside, she has it very nice inside. Love Judy
Nancy
Mom wanted me to tell you she went with Bob & Debbie & Debbies mom & Cannon to put flowers on Debbies Dad's grave in WEippe & on Norms grave in Reubens. Also to say Hermie is still in hospital in Spokane & Margie did stay 2 nights with Sister Bernie & now is staying with Wendys cousin who lives in Spokane. Love Mom
Post a Comment